Last Update: May 23, 2018
Withdraw Your Consent at Any Time
If you do not wish to accept cookies in connection with your use of Swisscows, you will need to delete, and block or disable cookies via your browser settings; see below for more information on how to do this. Please note that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of Swisscows and may prevent you from being able to access certain features on Swisscows.
What Is a Cookie?
First and third-party cookies: whether a cookie is "first" or "third" party refers to the domain placing the cookie.
- First-party cookies are those set by a website that is being visited by the user at the time.
- Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than that of the website being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and another entity sets a cookie through that website, this would be a third-party cookie.
Persistent cookies: these cookies remain on a user’s device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the website that created that particular cookie.
Session cookies: these cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
How to Delete and Block Our Cookies
Changing your Cookie Settings.The browser settings for changing your cookies settings are usually found in the "options" or "preferences" menu of your internet browser. More detailed descriptions of these settings can be found under the links provided. Otherwise you should use the "Help" option in your internet browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari
More Information. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit: allaboutcookies.org.
What Cookies Do We Use and Why?
The cookies we use on Swisscows may be categorized as follows:
- Strictly necessary
Some cookies fulfill more than one of these purposes.
"Strictly Necessary"cookies let you move around Swisscows and use essential features like secure areas. Without these cookies, we cannot provide the requested services.
We use these Strictly Necessary cookies to:
- ensure that you are connected to the right service on Swisscows when we make functional changes
- for safety reasons
Accepting these cookies is a condition of using Swisscows, so if you prevent these cookies we can't guarantee how Swisscows or the security on Swisscows will perform during your visit.
"Performance" cookies collect information about how you use Swisscows e.g. which pages you visit, and if you experience any errors. These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you and are only used to help us improve how Swisscows works, understand the interests of our users and measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
We use performance cookies to:
- Carry out web analytics: Provide statistics on how Swisscows is used
- Perform affiliate tracking: Provide feedback to affiliated entities that one of our visitors also visited their site
- Obtain data on the number of users of Swisscows that have viewed a product or service
- Help us improve Swisscows by measuring any errors that occur
- Test different designs for Swisscows
Some of our performance cookies are managed for us by third parties.
"Functionality" cookies are used to provide services or to remember settings to improve your visit.
We use functionality cookies for such purposes as:
- Remember settings you've applied such as layout, text size, preferences and colors
- Remember if we've already asked you if you want to fill in a survey
- Remember if you have engaged with a particular component or list on Swisscows so that it won’t repeat
- To provide and show embedded video content
Some of these cookies are managed for us by third parties.
"Targeting" cookies are used to track your visit to Swisscows, as well other websites, apps and online services, including the pages you have visited and the links you have followed.
We may use targeting cookies to:
- Display targeted ads within the Swisscows platform.
- To improve how we deliver personalized ads and content, and to measure the success of ad campaigns on Swisscows.
Additional Information about Advertising and Analytics
Third Party Analytics and Advertising
Facebook Connect. For more information about what Facebook collects when you use Facebook buttons on Swisscows, please see: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/#.
Facebook Ads. For more information about what Facebook collects and your choices around Facebook Ads, please see: https://www.facebook.com/ads/ad_...
Twitter. For more information about what Twitter collects when you use Twitter buttons on Swisscows or visit pages on Swisscows that include these buttons, please see: https://twitter.com/en/privacy.
LinkedIn. For more information about what LinkedIn collects when you use LinkedIn buttons on Swisscows or visit pages on Swisscows that include these buttons, please see: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/p...
Google has developed the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on; if you want to opt out of Google Analytics, you can download and install the add-on for your web browser here.
Please note that on Swisscows, Google Analytics code is supplemented by "gat._anonymizeIp();" to ensure an anonymized collection of IP addresses (so called IP-masking).
More Information about Targeted Advertising by Third Parties
Please see our Pixel Privacy Terms for more information about Swisscows Ads and Personalization on Swisscows.
More Information about Targeted Advertising by Third Parties
A guide to behavioral advertising and online privacy that has been produced by the internet advertising industry can be found at: http://www.youronlinechoices.com....
For more information about interest-based advertising from many ad networks, visit:
- European Union: youronlinechoices.eu
- Switzerland: youronlinechoices.com/ch-de/uber-oba
- Canada: youradchoices.ca
- U.S.: aboutads.info Internet Advertising Bureau
More Information about Cookies
International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom
Information on the ICC (UK) UK cookie guide can be found on the ICC website: http://www.international-chamber....
Pixel Privacy Terms
Last Update: May 23, 2018
Swisscows offers the opportunity to use its pixel technology to both publishers of content on the Swisscows platform and users of Swisscows’s advertising services (the "Ad Services"). Publisher or advertisers may embed Swisscows’s pixels ("Pixels") on their website and pages, subject to compliance with Swisscows’s terms of service for uses of its Pixels and other guidelines ("Pixel Terms"). The Pixels allow us to collect browsing information across sites and helps us to make the ads and content we display on Swisscows more relevant to users. The Pixels also allow us to provide information to publishers or advertisers on the Swisscows platform about how viewers engage with their content or advertisements and how to reach the most interested audience.
What Do Our Pixels Collect?
We may also use Pixels (and cookies and other features) to help us display ads and personalized content on Swisscows, and for a number of other purposes, such as to stop you from seeing the same ad or content repeatedly, to show ads or content that are likely to be more relevant (i.e., based on websites you have visited), to maintain records of the ads or content we display, and to track conversion rates (e.g., when a user of Swisscows clicks on an ad and is transferred to the advertisers website).
Swisscows will use data from Pixels for ad or content optimization only after such data has been aggregated with other data collected from advertisers or other third parties or otherwise collected on Swisscows.
What about Children and Other Sensitive Information?
Users of our Pixels are prohibited from using our Pixels on child-directed sites and services or to otherwise use Pixels to collect or transmit information about children under 16, financial information, health information, other sensitive data or sensitive information, or any information that is prohibited from being collected.
How Do I Know When Third Party Sites Are Sharing Information?
Users of our Pixels are required to provide prominent notice of, and obtain any required consent to, the following:
- that information will be collected by third-party pixels, cookies, web beacons, and other storage technologies on their website, app or online services, as well as a description of such information;
- that such information may be combined with similar information collected across third-party sites, services and mobile apps; and
- that such information may be used for targeting ads or providing measurement services.
What Do You Share With Third Parties?
We may share aggregate statistics, metrics and other reports about the performance of their ads or content in Swisscows, such as the number of unique user views, demographics about the users who saw their ads or content, conversion rates, and date and time information. We may also allow publishers or advertisers to use Pixels on Swisscows in order to collect information about the performance of their content or ads. Our Pixel Terms prohibit publishers and advertisers from combining any information obtained in connection with their use of the Pixels with personally identifiable information for any purpose.